Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 19, 2011 Locked IN!

So I guess this week didnt have much going on but there were a few funny instances. Probably the best one was when Elder Jongejan and I got locked in the apartment.

So what happened was that Elder Jongejan left his keys in the door over night, and the Zone Leaders had to go up to Frankfurt early in the morning. So they left at about 7:00 and thought that the keys were theirs and decided to lock the door behind them on the way out. So Elder Jongejan and I go through studying and get ready to go out and do some work and that's when we realized it. We were locked in... on the second floor. So what happened was we called the Zone Leaders and they were in a meeting so they didn't answer. We basically cancelled everything that we had going on that day (which wasn't much) and chilled in the apartment. So about a couple of hours later, Elder Anderson calls us and says, "I am so sorry." He said that he thought the keys were his and that he wouldnt be home until 9:30 (it was actually 9:45) and that we really couldn't do anything. Then he asked us if we have ever seen the movie The Princess Bride. We said yeah, and then he suggested that we tie bed sheets together and rappel out the window (I kid you not, that's what he suggested). Elder Jongejan and I look out the balcony thing and see that its a good 20 ft drop down to the pavement. I wasnt really thinking about how bad that would be if something went wrong, but I was thinking about how long it would take for some neighbor to call the cops on us. So we decided to just do some more studying and playing Die Siedler von Catan all day.

That was just about the coolest thing that happened to us this week. Other than Oktoberfest starting this week. We get to enjoy it today! Aha just kidding. But seriously, I saw massive groups of guys walking around the inner part of the city in Lederhosen. It looked pretty ridiculous. I even heard that Elder Mayle bought some.

So General Conference is coming up, which we get to see at our ward building. It's the stake building so a ton of people are going to be there. We have already started inviting lots of people, less actives, inactives and so on.

It has started to get cold around here! Finally! It feels like Autumn (Winter too) is here! We have already started listening to Christmas music!

Elder Jongejan and I joke about how some missionaries letters compare to the area they serve. So in South America, they talk about lots of baptisms and a bajillion lessons each week. In North America they talk about way awesome spiritual experiences and how many member referrals they get. But here, because of how many times we get rejected, we have to laugh and joke a lot. I think its something that takes our minds off of the rejection. I have honestly never had a time in my life where people were rejecting what I say and what I am teaching, than out here. But I am learning a lot and I feel like I am making the most of my time here.

It doesn't seem like we have any baptisms on the horizon here but on a brighter note (and a completely different topic) I finished the Book or Mormon this morning. Like actually studying it, it was intense. Now I guess I am going to start in D&C and then move onto the Old Testament. Yeah, thats right. That's how hardcore we are here.

We are having a degree of sucess. We got a contact last week, and also a lesson yeasterday! Yeah, then we found out that they are already being taught by the other Elders... But we got a referral and we set up an appointment with him so that should go well.

Well like 2 weeks left in this transfer and time has been flying by! It's unbelievable.

I guess the only "TRAGIC" thing (haha) is that I HAVENT BEEN GETTING CHICK MAIL! WHAT IS THIS? Sometimes it's the only thing that keeps you going. lol Elder Jongejan STILL gets chick mail, and he is 1 transfer older than me.

So yeah, good times here in Nürnberg, things are going well. Thanks for the packages that you all sent and I really do appreciate it, even if I dont write an ultra impressive email. It's great, I love it.

So yeah, I will catch you all next week!

Love you!

Elder Trevor Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment